August 4, 2022 at 1:58 pm #2368Eric GrazianoKeymaster
A hinge kit comes with two connection points – each hinge has a hinge plate and a J Bracket. To attach the J Bracket to the EZ Port insert it in the top pocket with the hardware connector in the bottom pocket. This secures the part of the hinge that is mounted on the EZ Port. The other half of the hinge is a flat bracket with holes for lag bolts. The two pieces (J Bracket and Hinge Plate) are joined using a hinge pin which slides through the two pieces and is secured with a cotter pin. Be sure to use included 5/8” stainless steel flat washer as a backing plate behind the cotter pin. This prevents wear on the cotter pin from dock movement (see above photo).Once installed, it is easy to remove the Port from the floating dock – you simply pull out the cotter pin and then slide out the pin which will disconnect your EZ Port.TIP: Marking the location for the lag bolts will save you lots of installation time. So mark them well!EZ Installation Steps:
- Mount the J Bracket and secure it to the EZ Port
- Slide the hinge pin through the J Bracket and the hinge plate then secure it with a cotter pin
- While standing/kneeling on the EZ Port, hold the hinge plate against the existing floating dock and mark where the lag bolts will be located
KEY: Make sure no one is on the dock you are attaching to and that your weight is on the EZ port when you mark the position for the lag bolts. This negative load will then insure that when your PWC is on the EZ Port the back end will rise and keep the jet drive completely out of the water. It is critical to make sure that you have a negative load on the installation when you mark the spot for the lag bolts.Note: Depending on the freeboard of your existing floating dock, the hinge plate can be mounted in the up/raised position (above the J bracket) or at the same height as the J Bracket.One hinge kit is adequate for securing up to three EZ Ports ® depending on the degree of rough water at the site.
Building a floating dock is easy with EZ Dock of Texas for all your floating dock building plans and designs. Below is a quick tip on coupler installation.
- Insert Coupler Bolt through bottom coupler section (square recess) and use hammer to set bolt into recess of bottom coupler.
- Load bottom of coupler & bolt assembly into coupler installation tool.
- Slide between dock sections and align coupler bolt with hole in dock pocket (start in center of dock and position tool for removal through open pocket side of dock).
- Pull bottom coupler assembly into dock pocket until hole in coupler tool is visible (you can put a screwdriver into this hole to keep tool in position.
- Put coupler nut onto coupler bolt and screw down at least three turns.
- Use coupler pull-up tool or claw hammer to seat bottom coupler into bottom coupler pocket.
- Remove coupler nut and insert coupler top into pocket being careful not to put excessive pressure that would push bottom coupler back out.
- Use hammer or mallet to firmly seat top coupler into dock pocket.
- Use the EZ Dock coupler installation tool and a 15/16″ socket to tighten the coupler nut. Be careful not to over-tighten coupler nut.
- Slide coupler installation tool out through the un-coupled side of dock. You may need to tilt tool as shown to free it from bottom coupler.
Attachments:You must be logged in to view attached files.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.